Kamlaah Fort stands on formidable terrain but it can be trekkers’ delight.
Named after Kamlah Baba, a local saint, the fort stands on jagged ranges of Sikandar
Dhar. Kamlahgarh contains six forts: Kamlah, Chawki, Chabara, Padampur, Shamsherpur
and Narsinghpur. Raja Hari Sen, gauging the significance of the strategic location
of Sikandar Dhar started to build the fort around 1625, which his son Suraj Sen
completed and fortified.
The fort stands at a height of 4772 feet and around it there are some villages –
Chamba, Naun, Kamlah, Kathed, Shamsherpur, Jamandhar and others. The main entrance
to the fort is almost labyrinthine. The fort remained invincible for centuries;
but it fell in 1840, into the hands of Bentura, Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s general.
It was restored to Mandi kings in 1846.
How To Reach Kamlaah Fort:
Kamlaah is around 80 kms from Mandi town on Sarkaghat-Joginder Nagar via Dharampur
Other places of interest: Kamalaah Baba shrine; Janetri Devi shrine.